In this article, you will find our Guide To The Average Cost Of Hockey Equipment.
Sports Zone has been operating in Waterloo for over 16 years. We are committed to providing hockey enthusiasts with the highest quality equipment available at unbeatable prices both in-store and online - contact us today to learn more!
When assessing the average cost of hockey equipment, it's important to remember there are some articles to buy new, and others you can look for used. Let's dig in and take a deeper look.
Guide To The Average Cost Of Hockey Equipment
What You Can Expect To Pay
The average cost of hockey equipment depends on whether you go all out with the top brands or settled for used hockey equipment, but here's a general guideline via newtohockey.com:
- All New: $500 – $1000 (Depending on what sales you find)
- New and Used: $300 – $500
- Mostly all used: $200 – $300
As we will discuss later in this article, there are some pieces that can be bought used, and other pieces you should prepare to set aside a larger budget to purchase new.
The fact that kids grow so quickly means it's prudent to prioritize used equipment for youth hockey players, thereby lowering the average cost of hockey equipment for kids. Adults can invest a bit more, knowing they're likely to use their gear for many years to come.
Don't forget the hockey bag when assessing the average cost of hockey equipment!
What You Need To Play
Above, we covered the average cost of hockey equipment, but if you're a parent in need of gear for your child or an adult new to playing the game, you may not know what exactly what you even need.
Here are the basics:
It's a fairly lengthy list, enough to fill your hockey bag, which you should also add to your list.
Used options are limited, and that's because there are certain pieces that warrant spending on new due to safety and hygeine, raising the average cost of hockey equipment.
To make things easier, though, we offer a trade-in program so you can bring in your old equipment and get credit towards new gear.
Here's a look at some of our new arrivals:
New Sports Arrivals
Regular Price: $329.99 CAD
Special Price $264.99 CAD
When To Spend And When To Save
As mentioned above, there are some pieces of hockey equipment you should buy new, and others where you can definitely get away with taking the used route.
This CBC article sheds some light on when you can save and on what you should spend:
- Helmet - Spend: This is one of the most important pieces of equipment, and you want to make sure you get one that has not been banged up as that could compromise head safety.
- Protective Gear - Save: Again, shoulder pads, pants, gloves, shin guards, and elbow pads can all be purchased second-hand. This can really save you a lot of money! For protective gear, it's best to look for gently used items.
- Jock, Undergarments - Spend: For these items, the hygienic choice is to go new. You just don't know where these items have been in the past and it's not worth the health risk.
- Skates - Spend or Save: Skates are another item you can save on, and you can benefit from putting your feet into a used pair that have already been broken in. However, buying new allows for optimization opportunities. Sports Zone, for example, has a Bauer 3D skate lab that scans and measures each foot for the best possible fit.
- Sticks - Spend: When taking to the ice, you want to make sure your stick will provide peak performance. Sticks can be weakened by use over time, so invest in a high-quality stick such as the Bauer Supreme ADV. At Sports Zone, we have a CCM Performance Lab that can help you find the best stick just for you. Here's Matt Duchene of the Nashville Predators taking it for a test run:
Visit Sports Zone For The Best in New and Used Hockey Equipment
Like the major chain sporting retailers, we carry all the major brands you need to play your best. The Sports Zone difference, however, is our personalized level of service. We pledge to offer the customer a personal, small-store service experience but with all the sports equipment and apparel athletes need to excel at their sport.
As Waterloo's largest independent sports retailer, we've provided thousands of athletes with the high-performance sports gear that helped them excel in their chosen sport - and we can do the same for you.
Whether you need hockey equipment, skates, hockey sticks, goalie equipment, figure skates, or baseball equipment, Sports Zone has what you need at the best price, guaranteed!
Sports Zone is a serious player in the sporting store market. Because we purchase our sports products in volume, we provide the same discount levels offered by national chains and big-box retailers. Our price match promise means we won’t just match another store’s advertised price - we’ll beat it by an additional 5%!
Visit us today to get the best sports equipment you need to compete and take advantage of our in-store services.
Or, you can order online if you're outside the Kitchener-Waterloo area.
"Friendly owners and staff, want the best for their customers and will go above and beyond helping you find the equipment that will fit your price range and your needs. Personal service that you just don't get with bigger sports stores around the city."