In this article, we will discuss new vs. used hockey equipment, and what you need to know when planning for a new season.
Sports Zone offers the very best in new and used hockey equipment, and we allow trade-ins so that you can maximize your dollar - visit us today to learn more.
Now let's dig in and take a closer look at the benefits of investing in new hockey gear and when it's appropriate to purchase used equipment.
New vs. Used Hockey Equipment: What You Need To Know
If you're new to playing hockey, you may not know what you need in order to gear up. It's a decent-sized list, sure to fill your hockey bag, which is a good starting point!
So, what will you need?
Here at Sports Zone, we offer the following used items: shoulder pads, pants, gloves, shin guards, and elbow pads. Used options are limited, and that's because there are certain pieces that warrant buying new, and others where you can confidently purchase used.
To make things even easier, we offer a trade-in program so you can bring in your old equipment and get credit towards new gear.
New Sports Arrivals
Spend Or Save With Used Hockey Equipment
There are some pieces of hockey equipment you should buy new, and others where you can seek out the best in used hockey equipment.
This CBC article sheds some light on when you can save and on what you should spend:
- Helmet - Spend: You want to make sure you get one that has not been dented or cracked. Buying new is the best way to ensure it's able to properly protect your head.
- Protective Gear - Save: Items like shoulder pads, pants, gloves, shin guards, and elbow pads can all be purchased used, and you can save a lot of money by settling for gently used items instead of new.
- Jock, Undergarments - Spend: For hygiene's sake, buy new! You just don't know where these items have been and it's not worth the health risk.
- Sticks - Spend: When taking to the ice, you want a stick that will provide maximum performance. Sticks are weakened by use over time, meaning you should invest in a high-quality stick such as the Bauer Supreme ADV.
- Skates - Spend or Save: Skates are another savings opportunity, and you can save yourself a lot of aches and pains by sliding into a used pair that have already been broken in. Buying new allows for optimization opportunities. Sports Zone, for example, has a Bauer 3D skate lab that scans and measures each foot for the best possible fit!
Common Hockey Equipment Questions
The estimated cost depends on whether you go all out with the top brands or settled for used hockey equipment, but here's a general guideline via newtohockey.com:
- All new: $500 – $1,000 depending on what sales you find
- New and Used: $300 – $500
- Mostly all used: $200 – $300
Again, protective gear doesn't need to be bought new, and there's a great opportunity for savings there. Your skates could end up costing you the most, followed by your helmet and gloves. The stick is an x-factor because you could choose to go all out with a premium model.
Do I need to buy everything at once?
No. All you really need to start playing is a stick and skates. If you want to play pick-up hockey, you will probably need skates, gloves, a stick and a helmet. If you play in a competitive league, you'll need full equipment. All this to say, you can slowly transition into all the equipment you need over time.
You don't have to break the bank to get the best hockey equipment. Seek out sales, buy out of season, take advantage of trade-in programs, and rely on experts to make sure it's all up to code.
"The most important thing to keep in mind when sourcing all sports equipment is the safety of the piece," according to Active For Life.
Hockey helmets must have a CSA (Canadian Standards Association) sticker and must be free from cracks. For skates, ensure there are no missing or rusted rivets, rusted or cracked blades, or cut leather. For all other pieces, look for signs of wear and tear and most importantly, make sure they fit properly.
Sports Zone is a serious player in the sporting store market. Because we purchase our sports products in volume, we provide the same discount levels offered by national chains and big-box retailers. Our price match promise means we won’t just match another store’s advertised price - we’ll beat it by an additional 5%!
How Do I Start Playing Hockey?
Sports Zone can make sure you're outfitted with the best new or used hockey equipment
Visit Sports Zone For The Best in New and Used Hockey Equipment
Like the major chain sporting retailers, we carry all the major brands you need to play your best. The Sports Zone difference, however, is our personalized level of service. We pledge to offer the customer a personal, small-store service experience but with all the sports equipment and apparel athletes need to excel at their sport.
As Waterloo's largest independent sports retailer, we've provided thousands of athletes like you with the high-performance sports gear that helped them excel in their chosen sport and we can do the same for you.
Whether you need hockey equipment, skates, hockey sticks, goalie equipment, figure skates, or baseball equipment, Sports Zone has what you need at the best price, guaranteed!
Visit us today to get the best sports equipment you need to compete and take advantage of our in-store services.
Or you can order online if you're outside the Kitchener-Waterloo area.